Monday, December 3, 2012

Running injury free, appreciate it


For those that are running injury free, appreciate it. You don't know how lucky you are.

I hope that this winter with some work I will rejoin those that can go for a run without having pain on each step. Whether I like it or not, I am not recovering from the foot injury from Surf the Murph nor the aggravated achilles and calf issues that have appeared as well.

I have re-written this post probably 10 times over the last 3 weeks and keep failing to post it as I really didn't want to face reality and I am just sick and tired of having to discuss running injuries but no matter what I have tried over the last five weeks it just ain't working so I need to do something about it.

The pain is on the inside of the foot, just past the ankle bone above the arch. With that in mind I did my internet diagnosis and am concerned that it may be an injury to my posterior tibial tendon, mainly because there isn't really anything else there. The pain seems at or near the attachment junction to the foot.

I am starting to figure out what aggravates it and what seems to protect it. Running on pavement or uneven surfaces seems to aggravate it although I have found the shoes matter and am starting to document that. As an example my Brooks Pure Grits seem to irritate it, they are nicely cushioned, probably the most cushioned shoes I own. I have found that taping the tendon as I discovered in this link and/or wearing my supportive shoes help, which makes sense based on my diagnosis. The achilles issue is in the other leg and it's different meaning two issues in one. When I run in my Inov-8's they irritate it right at heel cup and at other times it's tender at the calf-achilles junction which goes back to an old injury.

My plan is to document each pair of shoes that I have and see how I respond and maybe I will find the magic pair, and yes this means I might even pull a pair or two out of retirement  The other thing that is irritating and it may be nothing more than the way I run because of the other issues is that both of my calves are tight and seem to tighten up as I ran. The left calf is the one I tore after Superior and the tightness seems vaguely familiar to the way it felt during Superior, so I need to be careful.

Long and short of it, I really should find a Doctor or PT that I am comfortable with but my nature is to do it myself so I will try a few things over the next week and see if I am legitimately making progress and go from there.

One last thing, you should appreciate running pain free, I know I look forward to running that way soon but for the moment (even though I am frustrated about the injuries) I am still having fun too.

1 comment:

it's all about pace said...

I feel for you... literally... I have the injury blues too.

taping sounds like a good plan.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails