DNF - Did Not Finish
DNS - Did Not Start
DFL - Dead F*cking Last
PR - Personal Record
PB - Personal Best
PW - Personal Worst
There are many more but while I was on a run recently, I came up with one of my own:
Which stands for "Should Not Start", this reflects what I ponder at most of my races :-). So what is the criteria folks use for should I start or not? For me, it's pretty simple. Here are the questions I go through:
- Can I finish within the time limit?
- Will I cause more damage?
- Will it cost me more to go than what I have invested in race fees?
- Do I have a race streak going?
- Would I feel better to finish last or to not start?
- What's the worse thing that will happen?
- Am I ok with a DNF if things go bad?
- My last question always is, what do I have to lose?
You might be thinking that a SNS leads to a DNS which could be true but in my case it usually leads to a finish, I guess it also has lead to a DNF, DFL, PR, PB and PW. So all things considered if I look all of my marathons over the last 2 years all were SNS but apparently I seldom heed to logic and common sense.
Now about Mankato, should I go? Of course I will probably give it a go :-)