Monday, May 30, 2016

Med City, Minneapolis & Grandmas

I did a quick update on Facebook but figured I should do a bit longer version on my blog, here's the Facebook post:
I had a plan this spring, run Med City, Minneapolis and then Grandmas, which would make Grandma's my fiftieth marathon. Seemed poetic since it was also my first, then Minneapolis canceled so I was looking for another marathon until today when I decided to pull the plug on MedCity at 20 miles. My daughter was running the 20 mile event as her last long run so I figured I would do the same.
Now in my case, I was having foot and knee pain and was cramping up (both legs and stomach as it was a warmer day with the wind at my back for the first 12 miles and I had become overheated). Having not fond memories of enduring cramps and expecting things to only get worse, I think it was a good choice and now I can make my 16th Grandma's my 48th marathon which seems poetic again
So what happened at Med City, that can best be answered by looking at my running log for the year.


Started out sick so I missed Zoom Yah Yah, and then I began ramping up the long runs but notice all of the pink squares, those were days I didn't run, usually a by product of my work interfering with my life (and those are the runs needed to provide a solid base). I was  getting back on track in March into April when the wheels came off again, that correlates with work again and getting sent to Puerto Rico, followed by Kristin's graduation and Katie's wedding. I did get in a 19 miler the first weekend of May and I was hoping that would be enough and it probably was but I pulled the plug anyway at Med City.

I was cramping (stomach and calf), had knee pain (bone on bone) and my posterior tib pain was kicking in so I said enough and rationalized it as a final long run and a decision to do no more damage. I did have time to finish but why should I put myself through it? I have been beating up my body and my mind by pushing my way through marathons that my health and training should not have allowed. For this year, I have been doing ok throughout the training at avoiding issues meaning no PTT issues, some knee issues and then about a week ahead of Med City my calf was cramping up again so that had me nervous going in.

Then with the wind at our back and warmer temps (for MN) I was in trouble almost from the start. I complicated it by only getting a couple of hours of sleep on Saturday night. That again would be from stressing from work along with having our Granddaughter all week. She is a total sweetie and a delight but I am no longer well equipped to deal with a 1 year old not that I ever was good with 1 year olds. Thank god she is so good. Anyway, I went into Med City tired out both physically and mentally, forgot my knee sleeve which helps avoid the knee wobble that causes the pain, forgot about suntan lotion and then after an hour in the race, totally got off track on pace and fueling.

So I will work on getting my mind and body ready for Grandmas as I can't imagine not finishing Grandmas. After all it will by my 16th Grandma's in the year 2016 and my 48th marathon finish. How I love numbers that work together..............

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails