Saturday, April 26, 2014

Run for the Lakes Marathon Result

Brainerd Jaycees Run for the LakesWent in pretty uncertain of everything, knowing that I have a meniscus tear in my knee, knowing that my last 4 weeks of running were at best poor, so to say that I had concerns about pain management and pace would be a global understatement. 

But I did have a plan, the same plan I had before everything went off track, it was to run using the Galloway method and for this race I decided on a conservative method: run for 75 secs - walk for 60 secs. 


Unbelievable to me, it worked. At a couple points I tried to test the knee, significant pain increase after 90 seconds of running so I think I did everything just about right. The course was very enjoyable with minimal camber, no concrete, a nice breeze, sunny skies, friendly volunteers and a well marked course. 


I also tried the CoQ10 and NAC pills and had no issues with low energy and I sprinkled in some S-Caps and nausea was a non issue as well. Last I carried my own drinks, only drinking water with Nuun tablets. I had heard about using CoQ10 and Nac-Acetyl Cysteine on a nutrition video I grabbed off of YouTube, it basically said taking in anti-oxidants would allow your body to continue to use energy well. 


All I know is that between the Galloway method and the pills everything worked. My mile times were consistent throughout with only a couple mile splits off track. I was blown away at my consistency, my mile times ranged from 11:49 to 13:30, and the 13:30 was one of only two miles slower than 12:35. Every other mile was between 11:55 and 12:25. Oh yeah my time was 5:25:43. 


The time was better than anticipated and the post race recovery seems very good.This may take some to figure out as to what caused everything to work. Hopefully the knee recovers and I can do my next marathon in 2 weeks.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails