Saturday, August 1, 2020

Grandma's Virtual Marathon 2020

What a different year, I had originally thought that this year's Grandma's might be last as it was setup so perfect. I was going to run and finish my 20th Grandma's Marathon June 20th, 2020. I loved that symmetry, instead we went "Virtual"

Now in truth, I enjoy running alone and listening to my podcasts, crowds are a catch 22, they provide some motivation but also drain my energy from me. So the thought of a virtual event had some appeal. I debated for months where to run, originally thought about still coming to Duluth and running the course, then I thought about running the Willard Munger trail from about Carlton to the normal Grandma's finish line, these were predicated on our still driving up to Duluth and me running on the 20th. I so wanted a Sammy's pizza after I finished.
 
After many evaluations of all of the options I available, I chose to run my virtual marathon on the Cannon Valley trail, in my first attempt, yes, that's right, I had decided to run in Cannon Falls for 6 miles and then run to Red Wing on the trail.

Attempt 1: 6/20/20 - I was thinking 26 but aborted at 16, basically a total disaster run, had issues with my Garmin, my route, my breathing, pace and an issue with foot pain which caused some pain on every step and it was getting worse so I am thinking it was the source of the pace problem. I started out doing 30-30 pace which always results in 12 1/2 to 13 1/2 minute runs, not today. But back to my first issue, my route, the plan was for Karyn to drop me off in Cannon Falls, and then meet me later in Red Wing. This is where planning a marathon race from Goggle maps adds some opportunities as I had mapped it out carefully. After being dropped off, I was off and I was following my route map, of course my Garmin didn't want to pick up a satellite, so I struggled with it as I was running. Boy I hate that.
 
Then I was back looking at my map to make sure I was on route, I went up a hill and came to a dead in, later in looking closely at Google maps, I noticed the road was dashed gray, apparently that means it's planned but not yet built. Lesson learned, look at the actual map.

So after mentally being thrown off, I thought no problem and I would modify my route ad hoc in a few miles to make it all work out. Well, after doing that and finally getting into the spirit of the virtual marathon, I knew I was in trouble as my foot was hurting, my breathing was bad and pace was too slow. By the time I got on the Cannon Valley trail, I was mentally and physically shot.

Anyway, the plan is to regroup, tape the toe, wear different shoes and then try again until I can get through it. For Grandma's I have until the end of July which is good as I may need it.

Attempt 2: 7/11/20 - I made some logistic changes for this attempt, I decided to instead of having Karyn drop me, I would start in Welch, run to Cannon Falls and back and then add in an extra 6 doing an out and back from Welch. Interesting long run as always, had to deal with a thunderstorm at the start, then heat, foot pain along with GPS start/stop issues so the mileage is off by a few miles. I again used my walk-run, 30-30 splits but after 14 miles, the heat was getting to me as my HR was spiking and I was struggling. So I decided to stop at 20, a good long run.

Attempt 3: 7/22/20 - I made some additional logistic changes, for segment 1, I decided to run out of Welch towards Cannon Falls but to turn around at the rest area, 6 mile out and back plus a bit and then for segment 2, I would go from Welch towards Red Wing around 7 miles out and back plus a bit. I wanted to make this a training run in MAF so did 40-25 walk-run splits. It worked well all day. I did have foot pain towards the end of the first segment so switched shoes at Welch and picked up more water/fuel. An advantage of virtual marathons, you can plan your rest stops, even if it takes 3 times to figure it out. Segment 2 went well and although I was wearing out over the last few miles, my run-walk approach worked and I was happy to finish my virtual Grandma's, of course I would have preferred to run it in Duluth. 
 
The question for me is this going to be my last Grandma's? My plan had been to make it that as originally it was going to be my 20th Grandma's run on June 20th of the year 2020. I guess we will wait and see.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails