Monday, February 1, 2021

Retirement Running Plans

I started the new year as everyone has with an unsure running schedule as it relates to races but I have put together a training program based on building a different type of base. It sure helps being able to run or workout during daylight hours, a major advantage of being retired in MN where our winter sunlight hrs are limited. Great news as to my running program, it worked through January as shown below:

What you can see is I have miles recorded for every day except Jan 8th but notice the two shades of green, the olive shaded are my runs and the yellow green are walks. Yes I am adding walking as my cross training at least during the winter months. My theory is getting time on my feet without damage or injury and if my legs or body is too tired to run usually a walk is just fine plus it allows me to plan off days. Part of what I want to see with my walking is faster cadence as my old ultra running buds (Rick, Wayne & Karen) all used to harp on walking fast during ultra's  and that you had to teach yourself to do so. My running is still leveraging the Galloway method and although I have seen improvements in my shortness of breath and coughing, it's still a work in progress but I am seeing progress and am hopeful by summer I will be able to run non-stop for a few miles

Right now I am hoping to run FANS 12 hr and then do some marathons in other states and maybe in MN this fall/winter. Of course, we need COVID to get checked for these fall events to happen.

That's it for now, hopefully more posts will follow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice training!

Yup - gotta be able to walk fast for ultras. Rick has left me behind more then once when I took a quick stop and he was "just walking". Though maybe once out of sight he started running??

Glad to hear you are enjoying retirement and doing well!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails