Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Garmin Elevation Maps

Someone asked about Garmin elevation averages on the mn-drs group recently so I did a quick look at my stats from tonight to satisfy my curiosity. I had posted before about the difference between these but I had never looked at all 4 together for just elevation. I have a Garmin 205 and the run was in Lebanon Hills, around Jensen Lake (the southern loop is open) out to the A frame shelter and back more or less. The updated southern loop is ok, lots of new bridges, they are low to the ground and S shaped. All of the rocks and roots that I have tripped on have been removed or smoothed over :-(. Other than that, I am glad it's open again.

Bim Active:

Elevation Avg: 927 ft
Total Uphill: +344 ft
Total Downhill: -370 ft
Elevation Net: -26 ft

My quick glance at the data says, low of around 910, high of 950+. The minor delta between the start and finish is a by product of shutting my Garmin off before I climbed back up from Jensen Lake. I was about 1/2 up the hill.


SportTracks



Garmin Training Center


Garmin Connect


Interesting differences, Bim Active says it is getting the elevation info from the USGS. Not sure where the other 3 go but it looks like they all go to the same place. I do like the hole I fell into around mile 3 that shows in Garmin and Sport Tracks (no hole or steep down followed by a steep up that I was aware of), notice it doesn't show on Bim.

After looking through this post, I went back and found the email and he referenced Murphy so I grabbed a couple of the plots from Murphy. I just looped around in the Northern section of the park and I did not follow the Surf the Murph course but I did enjoy my wandering around.

Bim Active
Elevation Avg: 935 ft
Total Uphill: +2001 ft
Total Downhill: -2011 ft
Elevation Net: -10 ft

SportTracks


Previous Post - Bim vs. Garmin clarifications

2 comments:

Londell said...

Try what I did... I ran the exact same course of four miles over 50 times (my regular run from the office) and I never had the same elevation chart, some close but never the same. I think I may find a few of those and put them in BIM to see what it does. I would be interested to see if you rant the exact same loop on a varied number of days to see what happens? I noted when do loops on the same day, the data is pretty close on each loop. Wonder if the solar flares, clouds or other things cause variation?

Mike W. said...

Londell - I will give it a try, the Lebanon Hills loop I ran is one that I run all the time. So give me a few weeks and I will do an elevation comparison.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails