Warning - not running related
I generally try not to post on politics or religion and this one is really on neither but some might think it is criticism of the current President since I am questioning his stimulus package at least indirectly. Now truth be told, I was criticizing the past President for the same thing. Moving onto my soapbox, we should spend what we collect in taxes, fees, services, etc... and we should not print money we can't repay in my lifetime. Ok, I am now moving back off of my soap box.
Anyway, what led to this post was our church had the annual stewardship speech (what are you donating next year) last Sunday, except they invited a guest speaker. Turns out he is local high school teacher who teaches economics and he gave a great example during his speech that helped me understand our current deficit spending in a way that really made sense (minor side track - I should clarify that he did not at any point criticize the current administration nor make any political comments, his talk was on stewardship). Back to this post, as an Electrical Engineer, math has always been something I have been fairly good at but when it comes to millions, billions, trillions I tend to have visualization issues. His example was to think of the money as time.
- 1 Million Seconds = 278 hrs = 11.6 days
- 1 Billion Seconds = 277, 778 hrs = 11,574 days = 31.7 years
- 1 Trillion Seconds = 277, 777, 778 hrs = 11,574,000 days = 31,709.8 years
- 1 Million Seconds takes us back to November, 5 2009
- 1 Billion Seconds takes us back to March 10, 1978
- 1 Trillion Seconds takes us back to 29,700 BC (no clue what month)