Sunday, September 26, 2010

Plantaris Anatomy

I decided to try and look up some additional info on the plantaris muscle/tendon and found a couple of decent pictures (all my info was extracted from wikipedia). If you can't tell, I am my normal self absorbed self with this injury so feel free to skip this but if you ever wondered about Plantaris anatomy it at least provides a summary in pictures.

The plantaris muscle and a portion of its tendon run between the two larger calf muscles (soleus and gastrocnemius muscle). The Plantaris starts at the knee and runs between the soleus and the gastrocnemius and attaches near the heel.

Plantaris muscle/tendon behind the knee to the heel

In the first picture where I added the arrow is approximately where I felt the original pain when something must have snapped or torn, it is still where I have figured out that it is the most tender to touch and where I feel pain when I move in ways that cause pain. Right now that would be uneven surfaces, inclines and change of direction movements.


Plantaris where it attaches to the heel?


Plantaris location between Soleus and Gastrocnemius

One thing that I haven't chosen to agree with my wife on regarding this injury is the sequence of events that caused it.

Scenario 1 would say that I injured it during the Superior 50 while compensating for a right ankle sprain around mile 2 or 3. I did have left calf pain which started shortly after the ankle roll and it was different than normal and persisted until I missed the cutoff at mile 26.7. I then tore/ruptured it a week later because it was already strained.

Scenario 2 would be no correlation to Superior, merely a coincidence and that I did it by lifting a box out of my car because I am simply getting old. My wife thinks 1, I think 2 but recognize she may be right.

Today, I plan to go for a bike ride and I am debating that maybe this would be a good week to start a car-bike commute to get in some extra exercise. I live 25 miles from work (via car) and a bike commute would be around 28 to 30 miles which on my mt bike might take a bit longer than I could deal with so I am thinking that I might park about midway to work and then bike the rest

4 comments:

SteveQ said...

I looked up my own plantaris injury; I ended up tearing the popliteus as well - so I don't think I have much to share. It hurts, you rest it, it heals.

wildknits said...

Have to say I am going with Scenario 1 as well. Here is to quick and thorough healing!

Bike commuting at this time of year is interesting. A combination method seems reasonable.

Wayne said...

Funny I had it backwards, thought you were behind scenario 1 and Karyn scenario 2. :) Gotta get yourself healthy for Feb 5th! If your work schedule allows bring your bike to the Thur runs…

Londell said...

I go for scenario 3... Like Forest Gump says, it happens (recall mistaken for shit happens. Get well soon or if it takes longer, just get well...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails