Sunday, May 18, 2014

Reset time

Well, the good news is that I got my MRI results, the bad news is it revealed a medial meniscus tear and hamstring bursitis along with some arthritis. I meet with the Doctor on Tuesday to figure out options.

I have gained some additional insight this week whether my decision to drop from Lake Wobegon was a reasonable one. Last Sunday, I ran the Race for the Cure 5k, both my wife and daughter questioned the wisdom but I got through it. Then I played a couple of softball games on Thursday which caused a lot of tweaks and pain so that probably wasn't wise either. Yesterday, I went for a short run and pulled the plug after a mile and a half. Today the knee felt slightly better so I went for it, I was hoping to get at least a 6 mile run in and maybe extend it to 9 miles. The run instead turned into a replay of LWTM, even though I started with a run-walk, it just was a struggle. I started with some knee pain, got more as I went along until the pain slowed the pace even more after only a couple of miles and I had to reset.  At least at LWTM, I made it 10 miles until the wheels started falling off. So I am now looking forward to my Dr's appointment, never thought I would say that.

The good news is that I believe one way or another, I will be able to run many of my marathons yet this year.

I am pondering a couple of race options for the remainder of the year:

Option 1:
Run or attempt to run:
  • Med City 1/2 marathon
Surgery if required (late May or early June, or ASAP) which means
  • Probably will skip Minneapolis marathon or might be able to attempt to run depending on Dr's advice
  • Skip Grandmas
  • Probably would need to skip Eugene Curnow
The run the rest of the races:
  • St. Paul Urban
  • Moose Mountain
  • Walker
  • Twin Cities
  • Mankato
Option 2:
Run or attempt to run:
  • Med City 1/2 marathon
  • Minneapolis marathon
  • Grandmas
Surgery if required (late June or early July) which means
  • Skip Eugene Curnow
  • Probably skip St. Paul Urban
The run the rest of the races:
  • Moose Mountain
  • Walker
  • Twin Cities
  • Mankato
Now the truth is I am not sure option 2 will work at least in finishing Minneapolis and Grandmas but since the money is paid, I have nothing to lose but a little more pride.

It's also possible that the Dr will suggest another option altogether or discourage me from running until I am pain free.

I just know that one way or another I will get through some of the runs still this year and the ones I can't do I will do next year or who knows, maybe I will just use this year as training to run them all next year.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails