Saturday, May 3, 2014

Goodbye Lebanon Hills for now :-(

I proved something today, what you may ask? Well that's easy, I need to say goodbye to Lebanon Hills and trails in general for at least a little while as today I proved we aren't a good combination.

I was feeling pretty good about getting through Run for the Lakes and thought my recovery was going great but I still took things slow. I ran short on Tuesday and it felt ok, I gave myself a couple of extra days as things didn't work to get out for any runs and since I had convinced myself everything was doing ok and maybe my knee issue was behind me. So, I decided to do an easy 5 miler in Lebanon. After the first mile I knew I had made a mistake so at 1 1/2 miles I turned around and hobbled on back. Apparently Lebanon has just enough stuff on the trail to cause my knee to wobble or something and even the short downhills around Jensen Lake were an issue and for those that know Lebanon, you know how short and not steep the downhills are there.

So for the next few months I will be running on paved bike paths, hopefully that will give my knee a chance to recover and I can get through the next four marathons. I am happy that I have a chance to continue with the marathons but I will miss the trails. It is on trails where I can find true peace and solitude.

The way I figure it, I have until after Grandmas to get back to trails as I will need to do something so I have a chance at Eugene Curnow in July.

On to Lake Wobegon.........................

2 comments:

Londell said...

I tried Yoga for the knee and it seemed to help the who body. I would think pavement is worse than a soft trail, but not if the body is stiff and the flex needed is limited. Good luck!

wildknits said...

Uneven surfaces can be hard when dealing with an injury that affects joint stability. I learned that with my stress fracture 3 years ago. Any torquing of my lower leg made things worse until healing was well on it's way.

Here is to healing and some good marathons. See you at ECTM!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails