Since we just finished our 2011 work goals and they had to be SMART and I was pinged appropriately for not having SMART running goals, I thought I would post a few SMART goals. For anyone not familiar with SMART goals, here is the definition
- S - Specific
- M - Measurable
- A - Attainable
- R - Realistic
- T - Timely
Here are my goals:
- Run or Exercise 17 times in the remaining 23 days in January (min 20 minutes)
- Run or Exercise 80% of available days in February and March
- Lose 12 lbs by April 1st
- Run a 7 hour 30 minute time at Chippewa 50k, course conditions assumed acceptable
- Lose an additional 10 lbs by July 1st
- Run a 7 hour 5 minute time at Afton 50k, heat conditions assumed to be manageable
- Lose 5 more lbs by October 1st
- Run 12 hours at Surf the Murph 50, weather and course conditions acceptable
- Run 1500 miles during the year
A couple of other goals that will be schedule dependent are to run a sub 5 hour marathon and to finish at least 6 races of marathon to 50 mile distance during the year.
For all of the races, I must enter them healthy to achieve my time goals. If I end up injured again through fate or stupidity then I will need to take the time off required. This is more of a resolution than anything else.
I believe all of these goals meet the SMART definitions and I will provide an update on the shorter term goals like days exercising and weight loss every few weeks. Time to get to work.