Sunday, November 30, 2008

First real run of the winter?

We had just a little bit of snow last night, probably less than a inch but enough to complicate my longish run today. My original plan was to run 16 or so this morning in Murphy but I decided to instead go back to Lebanon Hills. I figured it might be a bit easier and I was a little concerned with the footing coming down some of the hills.

As it turns out, Lebanon was perfect, the temp was in the mid 20's, the snow was just enough to cover up rocks and roots but I know Lebanon well enough that I only tripped once.

The reason I needed to get in a longish run today is that I have decided that now is the time to start training for an early spring event, regardless of the specific event that I do. From a training perspective, I have assumed that I am doing Run Toto Run in February so that pretty much means I need to ramp up the mileage over the next 2 months and if I don't do that but I try for McNaughton than the training still needs to begin.

Back to my run this morning, it turned out to be a very enjoyable run, one that brought back memories of Chippewa. Ok, granted less than an inch of snow, fewer hills, no foot bridges but it was still delightful. I felt very good almost from the start and I was able to really push the last 3 miles to the finish. I used the Nathan and outside of an initial freeze up, it worked out great. It really makes the hydration thing easy. From a fueling standpoint, I decide to again try Clif Shot Blocks along with the normal Clif Shot Electrolyte. I took the two of the blocks at 1 1/2 hours, another 2 blocks at 2 hours and the last 2 blocks at 2 1/2 hours. It all worked today, I will try it again on my next long run and if it works twice in a row, that would be sweet. I also want to throw in a Peanut Butter sandwich when I get over 20 miles to see how that settles. I know if I am going to go beyond the 50k distance, I will probably need more than electrolyte and blocks.

One thing I am sure about is that winter is now here for good, although I would be totally fine if I am wrong. I took a few pictures with the camera phone, they don't really do justice but I figured they were still worth posting.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails