Friday, July 3, 2009

Garmin, Afton and RunnersRoundTable

I did my first run or said more accurately walk with the Garmin yesterday. I ran in Lebanon Hills and wanted to do an easy 5 miles. So I thought about what might be a 5 mile route and headed on my way. The first check with the Garmin was the back side of the Jensen Lake loop, based on my Nike+ and google map, I have had this section pegged at 1.2 to 1.3 miles, the Garmin came in at 1.15 so not too far off. The turn around on this route was at what I had thought would be between 2 1/4 and 2 1/2, the Garmin said 2.15, again not too bad. So it will be fun to see the rest of the routes, it is really cool to see the plots on Garmin Connect. Now I just need to figure out how to extract the info from it and get it to Buckeye where I would prefer it to go.

I had major issues during the run with contacts and basically exhaustion, I have had issues with my contacts before always at the start of the run, my thinking is it must something in the air, after that issue my legs seemed dead and my energy was non existent. Not sure why maybe it was the heat and what I didn't eat or drink, some days just aren't what they should be.

Based on yesterdays run, the 50k tomorrow might be more interesting than expected. I never did get back into Dr. K so my left ankle and right achilles might be bothersome. I just need to remind myself during the race that my plan is just to finish it without additional injuries. I know I will be at the back of the pack and I intend to run a smart albeit slow race, I will see how the Garmin works, listen to some podcasts and just enjoy the day and who knows maybe I will even chat with a few fellow runners. Just to get myself focused here is my reminder of why I love running at Afton,


I had the privilege of hosting Episode 36 of the RunnersRoundTable on Wednesday it went ok but I am not sure I am cut out to be a podcaster or an interviewer. My co-hosts were Colin (Resurrected Runner), Ari (RunAnskyRun) and Erin (Elements of Erin and Tri N Reality) and we were joined at the last minute by Chris (RunRunLive). The show was on running shoes and we interviewed Charlie (Running with Coffee) from Fleet Feet Shoes in Chicago. Everyone did a great job, so thank you all it was fun to do. If you have an interest, take a listen.

Last, here are the final forecasts for Afton from accuweather:
Saturday, Jul 4
High: 77 °F RealFeel®: 81 °F
Times of clouds and sun




and from Weather.com

Hourly Forecast more details
6 am

63°F

Feels Like
63°F
9 am

69°F

Feels Like
69°F
12 pm

77°F

Feels Like
78°F
3 pm

79°F

Feels Like
79°F

1 comment:

Londell said...

I use Garman connect, Training Center, Ascent for Mac, and Buckeye... Buckeye is just a better log and I love it more than any of the others...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails