Monday, December 8, 2008

Back Home Again in Indiana?

In a post a few days back, I got a comment about the Indiana events that I am considering for next year and that I should look into a 50k called "the Huff" in Huntington, IN on December 29th.

The interesting thing about the Huff is that Huntington is only 1 1/2 hours from Carmel, IN where we will be over the holidays. I am sure my family would be thrilled if I said how about a quick trip up to Huntington. It would be a pretty easy way to click off a state even though I am not in great 50k shape, then again I have never been in"great 50k shape" so that hardly matters. The problem with it is (if I don't ponder the family holiday issue), is that I would prefer to do the Gnaw Bone 50 or the Tecumseh Trail marathon as they basically take place in the area of Indiana where I grew up in. The only problem is that the Gnaw Bone (May 9th) is out next year as we have conflicts and the Tecumseh is in early December and it's always a bit harder to think about driving down to Indiana twice in one month especially in the winter. I could always do the Huff 50k and then when the schedule works out do the other two.

What am I thinking, I have to do Gnaw Bone. I will just wait until 2010, 2011, 2012 or whenever it works out.

The course runs through Brown County State Park, I used to go there as a kid, it's right near Nashville, the one in Indiana, a neat little small town and it may even get me fairly close to the cabin we had on Lutheran Lake, yes that's it real name and yes, you do have to be Lutheran to have a place on the lake. It would also give me a chance to go to my hometown, Columbus, yes the one in Indiana.

If you ever get a chance swing through this area around Brown County, the trees and hills are gorgeous in the fall. Columbus is worth a visit as well, it is known as an architectural mecca, if you want to know about the architecture take a look at the link above but to give you an idea, the city golf course was designed by Robert Trent Jones and the clubhouse by Frank Lloyd Wright, it's even the hometown of Tony Stewart. Another thing about my hometown that some folks find interesting is that my high school basketball gym seated 7000+, basketball used to be pretty important in Indiana.

And if I ever get to feeling down about living in Minnesota (winter does bring that on, even though, yes, I have lived here longer than I lived in Indiana but it doesn't matter, I am a Hoosier) all I got to do is think about being Back Home Again to Indiana.

If you want to know about being a Hoosier, you will need to understand this video.

2 comments:

SteveQ said...

I was a Boilermaker (Hoosiers su..., oops) and remember all the townies complaining about people driving through Brown county at 5 mph to see the leaves. I also remember having to make the choice between auto racing and basketball, the only sports that count in Indiana.

Mike W. said...

Didn't realize you were a Boilermaker, sorry to hear that, just kidding :-) as my dislike of Purdue has mellowed after years of living in Minnesota.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails