Sunday, June 7, 2009

The journey continues....

Fueling, running, diet, it seems like I have been going in circles lately.

Fueling - Wayne provided me with some e-Gels and e-Fuel which I had planned on using on my long runs, only problem is I haven't been able to go farther than 13 miles so it has yet to happen. I did try yesterday on our 13 miler to take in only water, and tried GU gummies for the first time (suffice to say that I will stay with Clif Shot Bloks) and then I had to have a GU gel as I was kind of bonking near the end and felt like I was getting light headed, out of gas, it was a feeling I haven't had in awhile at least 2 1/2 hours into a run. What did that tell me? I think it says that taking in electrolyte throughout my run does help me from hitting major lows. So I think I will keep my e-Gel experiment is on hold until I can run longer than 13 miles on a training run. I debated trying e-Gels at Swan Lake next weekend but concluded that wouldn't be a wise idea as I know I will have my hands full with the run itself so better to go with a fueling system I am used to.

Diet - I need to get my act together and get serious about it. I was doing ok until early May when I got off track, it's time to get back on track. So for the next few months I am going to try to be diligent about the diet. I think between work and running in pain, I have just been a bit distracted. So I will attempt to focus a bit and see what happens.

Running - I seem to have paid a bit of a price for Chippewa. I was disappointed with my effort there but in looking as to how my body has recovered, I may have been too hard on myself. When I finished at Chippewa my feet and ankles did hurt but I was bumming about my time, I figured it was just the result of multiple ankle rolls and having run 30+ miles. I think I missed the early warning signs as since then I have struggled with the right Achilles and just when I think I almost have it together something else goes wrong. On Wednesday, I ran 10 miles in my Rucky Chucks, it was not a pretty site. After that run, my Achilles was hurting a bit but my left foot was hurting worse. I love it when I go into a run with something hurting and then come away with something totally different hurting that takes my focus off my original injury except for the fact that the original injury is still injured. I have been told multiple times about not running through injuries maybe one day I will listen to that advice but probably not today. As to the foot, it's a pain similar to a plantar fascia injury but the weird thing is that when I rotate the foot or extend it, it seems to catch and alerts me via pain receptors to the event. So I am taping both and hoping for a bit of quick healing. So as the result of this, did I decide to rest and take it easy? No, I did the logical thing, I blamed the Rucky Chucks so I will avoid them for awhile.

On our run yesterday I did feel slightly better for the first 5 miles, I debated which shoes to wear and decided on my road shoes, NB 767's. I had some pain but it was more of a discomfort than pain. As the run continued, the discomfort increased, it never got terrible so I left thinking that Swan Lake wouldn't be pretty but I should be able to get through it. I did conclude that I probably won't wear the 767's as there is gravel and they don't do great in that. Pretty much after the run both feet hurt to walk or to sit, so my guess is I will get through Swan Lake but will probably have issues afterwards.

So today, I plan to run for a couple of hours and if the foot pain seems to get worse than I will abort it and attempt to begin to heal up for Swan Lake. Regardless of today, I have a week to taper and heal so I see a lot of ice therapy coming my way between now and next Sunday. It should be an interesting week.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails